A true old-Greece favourite, over-roasted aromatic quince will give your place a homely wintery scent. This is the ideal use for that bottle of Metaxa you have stored in the back of your drinks cupboard. Serve with yoghurt, whipped cream or just by itself. It will impress and treat your guests and family alike.
4 large quinces, peeled and quartered
1 ½ cup of sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
16-20 whole cloves
1 cinamon stick
4 tbsp cognac
- Preheat the over at 200C, 375F
- Cut your quince quarters in half. Stick a clove in each piece and line them in a shallow roasting pan.
- Add a cup of water
- Sprinkle half the sugar over the quince.
- Add the cinnamon stick to the pan.
- Douse the quince with the cognac.
- Sprinkle the rest of the sugar over the quince.
- Cover with foil and stick in the oven.
- Let cook for around 2 hours covered.
- Then uncover and let cook for another 30’.
- Serve hot or cold.